Friday 30 September 2011

Final choice of Music // Narrative and Visual Style

The two pieces of music I have chosen ('Kinoton' and 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites) would both make great tracks to use for an animation. To make my final decision, I know started to think about narrative structures for them both. I wanted a story which was important to me. I suffer from bipolar disorder, and so I tried to work this into my narrative, and to see if either felt more appropriate.

Firstly, 'Kinoton' by Pluxus is a calm and peaceful kind of electro,with a beautiful chorus


"hey, you shine like the sun
you can shine down on me
oh shine like a star
shine down shine down
shine like a star"


I felt I could work this around an idea of a depressed character who was being reassured of her inner beauty. A simple idea, but a nice one. However, I found it harder to find visual styles for this track fitting the style of music as well as the next one...

'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' by Skrillex; straight away, a narrative worked. The music really reminds me of the feeling of a manic episode - euphoric, disruptive, and at times angry and anxious. And yet at the end, a single lyric:

'Look at this,
I'm a coward too,
You don't have to hide, my Friend,
For I am just like you'.

This is so at odds with the manic experience, that a bipolarity is evident by default. I thought about it some more, and came up with a fuller story, so moved onto the visual stimulus for the animation. Here, ideas were much more forthcoming. 

Immediately, I thought of vivid colours, high contrast and thick brush-strokes. As well, the title 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' seemed to me reminiscent of childhood stories, so I thought about combining expressionist landscapes with contrasting characters in a childish illustrative style.

So, I decided that this second track would be the best choice for me, and will form the basis of my pitch presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment