Saturday 1 October 2011

Video Visual Inspirations

I have been researching animation styles which feel appropriate to my preliminarily chosen audio piece, and have attached some videos below.

My first is a video made as part of the 'Animated Minds' series of mental health awareness animations. It tells the tale of a man suffering from agoraphobia, and is called 'Fish on a Hook'. I really like the way that it uses rough outline sketches for the main character and then coloured semi-abstract backgrounds - similar to how I described earlier. I would draw my character more harshly, and make the backgrounds more expressive, but this is the closest example I have so far found to what I imagined.

It is found at the following link: http://animatedminds.com/the_films/fish_on_a_hook/

I have also got a few other videos which each display some aspect of how I would like my video to look.

This one ('Mental Motions') is a great example of experimental and expressive sketch-work which would be a good reference to a character within a bipolar storyline as someone with a fragmented mind. See below:


Next, a rather rough animation I found ('The Journey to Home'), which nonetheless has something about it. Although the animation itself is rather unpolished, the illustrative style and conceptual work is brilliant - again the way childish sketchy characters are used with at times expressive backgrounds, especially between 25s and 2m05s, and despite an lack of finesse, the emotion portrayed so simply.




And lastly in 'A Tragic Story with a Happy Ending', the expressive and sketchy style seen here, and the use of high contrast, I find particularly good, albeit black and white, unlike I intend for my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment