Wednesday 5 October 2011

Life Drawing (Week 2)

The second week of life drawing, and I feel slightly improved already. My first sketches were still a bit stiff, but we also were advised to loosen up by using the shoulder more than the wrist to sketch from, and hold the pencil higher up. These few for example are still weak, but I think I am getting better at identifying the weight of a pose (marked 'x')

05/October/11 - 3 minutes

This next one I am quite happy with. I have taken in the idea that I am not drawing a 'likeness' of the model exactly, and here attempted to really emphasis the power of the pose, the perspective, and push the meaning I interpretted. 

05/October/11 - 3 minutes

We have been encouraged to spend some time thinking about the pose before trying to capture it. What is the emotion in it? Imagine it as a frame in a scene of animation - what happens before and after? What is the model trying to convey? Here, I sensed a feeling of frailty and weakness so tried to get that across:

05/October/11 - 3 minutes

And this last one I am particularly proud of given the one minute time constraint, especially compared with my one-minute attempts from last week. I think this is the first time I have managed to successfully capture all of the essence, weight, movement, perspective and emotion of a pose in one picture.

05/October/11 - 1 minute

No comments:

Post a Comment