Tuesday 4 October 2011

Character

I have been thinking more about the design of my characters. My first thought was of Quentin Blake, because the track title 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' seemed to take me back to my childhood reading the stories of Roald Dahl, which he narrated.


Within my chosen narrative, the sketcy style really works, but could even be pushed further. Compare:



In my own picture, I have really pushed the facial expression to an extreme and more 'unhinged' look. Also, I have deliberately gone over lines again and again. I think this adds a feeling of uncertainty and anxiousness to the image.

On top of this, I have drawn the character purely black and white, to contrast with the vividness of the background. Conceptually, this stands for the feeling of the world being hyper-real and the character feeling unreal.


No comments:

Post a Comment